Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Ventura, California - March 12-16, 2008

I feel like we've reached the end of our winter travels in our arrival to Ventura. The reason for heading west this year was to attend our nephew's wedding in Ventura & that time has finally arrived! We were anxious to meet up with our oldest son, Curtis, who was flying in for the wedding and my sister & her husband, Karen & TJ and my aunt, Barbara. We arrived a few days before anybody else so that we could have some sightseeing time before the wedding activities began. We took a drive up through Santa Barbara and into the mountains to Solvang, a Danish town that looks like it belongs in Europe. It was a really cute town, but the drive there was through the most incredibly beautiful countryside, both along the ocean and up in the mountains. I can hardly believe that I drove through most of it. I must admit I finally turned the wheel over to George when I had to cross a bridge (awful enough to do when on flat land) right in the middle of the mountains (another fear of mine) and I was glad I did. That way I was able to enjoy the scenery! Family arrived on Friday and it was good to spend time with everyone. My nephew, Bob, and his wife-to-be, Ellie, hosted a party on Friday night at a local hotel, but instead of having it in a ballroom, it was held in The 50's Flat. This flat was set up as a 1950's one-bedroom apartment with a beautiful view of the ocean and all sorts of fun 1950's memorabilia. We had a great time getting to know Ellie's family and welcoming them to our family. We had time on Saturday morning before the wedding to get together and spend some time wandering through Ventura Harbor Village and along the beach. Bob & Ellie's wedding was held in one of their friend's back yard late afternoon. The wedding was very touching as they decided to not write their own vows, but actually wing it & just say what was in their hearts. It was incredible! I'm so glad we were able to be a part of their special day. For their reception, they had all sorts of international foods (Thai, Indian, Hispanic, Italian, etc) and their wedding cake was the most beautiful one I have ever seen! We feel so blessed that Bob & Ellie have decided to make their home in Chicago so we'll now be able to see them more often. After saying good-bye to Karen & TJ (they were taking a week long cruise), Curtis, Barbara, George & I packed up and headed east to Pomona, California - our first stop on our way back to MN!

No comments: